Premier League Champion's Club - Join Us

EGCC 1st XI v Mayfield (August Cup)

Mayfield won the toss and chose to bat first on what looked like an excellent pitch. A beautifully warm day to start the first competitive cricket of the summer. Openers Fitchett and and Harry Lloyd started well, seeing off the new ball from Pettman and the returning Sturmer. It was the change bowler of George Cave that got the well needed wicket of Fitchett to stop the partnership at 85. Will Taylor after a late arrival took the second wicket with a fiery short ball to take Raymond for just 8. Harrison Tagg came to the crease and Grinstead were able to slow the scoring with the new spin combination of Hatchett and Rattle combining well. Lloyd continued ticking along though towards a 100 but Grinstead did contain well on a decent wicket. Hatchett took the wickets of bothLloyd (two balls after reaching an excellent 100), and Tagg (40 at a run a ball). To drag Grinstead back into it. Mayfield slowing after being 192-2 moved to 208-5 with 5 overs remaining. The returning Pettman and Rattle finished the innings well for Grinstead containing Mayfield to 233 off their 40 overs. An excellent second half from Grinstead who dragged Mayfield back who never got away from them despite the set batsmen.

Grinstead started the chase excellently with Cammish replacing Adkin at the tof the innings in his absence. He struck 6 fours in quick succession to rocket Grinstead to 60 off the first 6 overs before edging behind for an excellent 28 off just 19 balls. This was exactly the start that Grinstead needed chasing a big total on a wicket that was beginning to show signs of more turn. Haynes and Graham continued to chip away at the total reaching 118 before the loss of the second wicket, Graham LBW reverse sweeping for 27. Unfortunately this started a bit of a collapse for Greinstead who played some rusty shots to lose momentum, losing 6 wickets for just 36. slipping to 156-7. Haynes did score an excellent 56 off just 60 balls, before being bowled by Sharma. We are looking forward to Haynes going big after batting excellently once again. Pettman was the new arrival with Rebbetts who looked to restore Grinstead’s chances. Firstly, seeing out the dangerous Allen who got 2/30 off his 8 overs, and Sharma who returned excellent figures of 4/32 off his 8 overs. This saw the return of seamers who were struggling on the slow wicket as Rebbetts and Pettman continued to turn over the strike well with the odd boundary. Grinstead needed 64 off the final 10 overs with just the 3 wickets in hand. Pettman however, got caught at mid wicket for an invaluable 25 off just 30 balls with just one boundary; showing excellent strike rotation. Still needing 39 with just two wickets left, Rebbetts had to take the attack to Mayfield, striking Sarro for successive fours whilst also taking the ones on offer in the ring. Taylor found the boundary from his first ball before gloving a short ball down the legside from the returning Harman leaving Grinstead 214-9, still 20 behind with four overs left and just the solitary wicket. Sam Rattle on his competitive debut strode to the wicket looking as determined as ever. Rattle and Rebbetts chipped away at the total with singles at first as well as a Rebbetts boundary down the ground off Cooke took the score to 232 with one final over remaining and Rebbetts on strike. To add to the drama, the umpires offered 5 penalty ruins to Grinstead for Mayfield’s slow over rate, however, Rebbetts refused to take the victory in that way, and faced up to the last over. Rebbetts got a single off the first ball to tie to scores leaving Rattle with 5 balls to take us to victory. After a solid block, Rattle edged the next wide of the slips and took Grinstead to a 1 wicket victory from their first game! Rebbetts ending on 40 not out and Rattle scored an invaluable 9 not out off 11 very important deliveries. A really pleasing win after plenty of Grinstead collapses over the years, getting over the line in that vain is as important as winning one wicket down.

Grinstead travel to Hastings who also won their first game of the cup to both try and spoil each other’s 100% records.

Darryl Rebbetts